Parents within the school district who have children over age six and under age sixteen by September 15, in proper physical and mental condition to attend school, will have the children attend the school district at the attendance center designated by the board. Students will attend school the number of days school is in session in accordance with the school calendar. Students of compulsory attendance age will attend school a minimum of 180 days. Students not attending the minimum days must be exempted by this policy as listed below or referred to the county attorney. Exceptions to this policy include children who:
- have completed the requirements for graduation in an accredited school or have obtained a high school equivalency diploma;
- are attending religious services or receiving religious instruction;
- are attending an approved or probationally approved private college preparatory school;
- are attending an accredited nonpublic school; or,
- are receiving competent private instruction.
It is the responsibility of the parent of a child to provide evidence of the child's mental and physical inability to attend school or of the child's qualifications for one of the exceptions listed above.
Date of Adoption: 2/9/82
Iowa Code §§ 259A; 279.10-.11; ch. 299; 299A (2009).
441 I.A.C. 41.25(8).
1978 Op. Att'y. Gen. 379.